Civics Lesson Plans and Toolkits
Illinois Civics has created the following lesson plans to support the teaching of the required high school civics course in Illinois. Check back often, as more lesson plans will be added.
Checks and Balances
- Executive Orders– To what extent should executive orders be used to create public policy?
- Are the Branches Balanced? Does the Judicial Branch equal or outweigh the other branches?
- Is Justice Blind? – Flowers v. Mississippi High School
- Was Justice Blind? – Flowers. v. Mississippi Middle School
Teaching Civics Through History
- Holocaust: What role do individuals and institutions play in confronting injustice?
- Japanese-American Internment: Towhat extent has America lived up to its democratic ideals in times of crisis?
- LGBTQ+ History Toolkit
- Little Rock: What choices can individuals and institutions make to combat injustice?
- The Fate of Confederate Monuments in New Orleans: How do we reckon with our past?