Professional Development Calendar
Illinois Civics Hub Online Professional Development Opportunities
- 5/19- Asian Americans Advancing Justice- Teaching about the Asian American Experience: A Primer for Secondary (online)
- 5/24- Educating for American Democracy Roadmap- Making Connections: Understanding the U.S. and the American People in a Global Context (Online)
- 6/15- Educating for American Democracy- Contemporary Debates: Investigating How Historical Narratives Shape Current Political Arguments (Online)
- 6/27-30- Educating for Informed and Equitable Voting with CIRCLE and CERG (Online)
- 7/11-14- Educating for Informed and Equitable Voting with CIRCLE and CERG (Online)
- 7/15-Harvard Case Method Institute for High School Civics and History Teachers (Online)
- 8/20-Harvard Case Method Institute for High School Civics and History Teachers (Online)
Illinois Civics Hub Summer Professional Development: Civics, Standards, and Media Literacy
Choose Your Own Adventure!
The revised Illinois Social Science standards provide a pathway to prepare our youngest citizens for college, career, and civic life in the 21st century. Join the Illinois Civics Hub for a blended learning experience where you “choose your own adventure” by mixing and matching a variety of virtual and face-to-face options to build a professional development experience that fits your needs. This summer experience is FREE through a grant from the Robert R. McCormick Foundation.
Civics, Standards, and Media Literacy Workshop: Join the Illinois Civics Hub team for an interactive day of face-to-face learning as we deconstruct the revised social science standards to audit and enhance current practice. Experience the proven practices of civic education with lesson demonstrations. Walk away with FREE resources to meet the needs of ALL students aligned to standards and educational mandates in civics, media literacy, and Inclusive American History. These workshops will take place between 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Lunch will be provided. Pick a day and location convenient for you.
- 7/12- Joliet Professional Development Center (Joliet)
- 7/14- St. Clair County ROE 50 (Belleville)
- 7/18- Regional Office of Education #53 (Washington)
- 7/20- Rock Island County ROE (Moline)
- 7/26-Lake County ROE (Vernon Hills)
- 7/27- School Works ROE #9 (Champaign)
- 7/28- Regional Office of Education #1 (Quincy)
- 8/1- Regional Office of Education #12 (Robinson)
- 8/3- DuPage Regional Office of Education Center for Professional Learning (Wheaton)
#PoolsidePD: Pick a Few that Work for YOU: Collaborate with others across the state using Free for Teachers Canvas to choose from our catalog of on-demand, one-hour PD modules to meet your needs. Develop a plan of action with research-based “teacher moves” from the Educating for American Democracy Roadmap Pedagogy Companion. Get feedback from peers and Illinois Civics Hub Regional Civics Instructional Coaches for a flexible and responsive professional learning experience.
Registration links will be posted soon.
- 6/7- Thriving Schools Improvement: Intentionally & Strategically Building on Past Successes & Challenges (Wheaton)
- 6/16- Joliet Professional Development Alliance- Exploring the New Illinois Social Studies and Civic Requirements K-12 (Online)
- 9/15- SAVE THE DATE: Civic Learning and Media Literacy Across the Disciplines, Illinois Democracy Schools Annual Convening (Lisle)
This program is inspired by the landmark report, Guardian of Democracy: The Civic Mission of Schools, published by The Leonore Annenberg Institute for Civics of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania and the Campaign for the Civic Mission of Schools.
Bronze Level Entry Courses- 15 professional development credits from the DuPage Regional Office of Education
- 5/23-6/30/2022- Current and Controversial Issue Discussions- Bronze Certified Educator Badge (Online)
- 5/23-6/30/2022- Simulations of Democratic Processes- Bronze Certified Educator Badge (Online)
- 5/23-6/30/2022- Informed Action through Service Learning- Bronze Certified Educator Badge (Online)
Silver Level Courses- 15 professional development credits from the DuPage Regional Office of Education. Must have earned Bronze Certified Badge to Register.
- 9/12-10/21/2022- Current and Controversial Issue Discussions– Silver Distinguished Educator Badge (Online)
- 9/12-10/21/2022- Simulations of Democratic Processes– Silver Distinguished Educator Badge (Online)
- 9/12-10/21/2022- Informed Action through Service Learning– Silver Distinguished Educator Badge (Online)
Gold Badge Courses- Earn 3 graduate credits from the University of St. Francis for an additional fee
- 10/24-12/16/2022- Current and Controversial Issue Discussions– Gold Guardians Educator Badge (Online)
- 10/24-12/16/2022- Simulations of Democratic Processes– Gold Guardians Educator Badge (Online)
- 10/24-12/16/2022- Informed Action through Service Learning– Gold Guardians Educator Badge (Online)
Other Professional Development Opportunities
- On-Demand- Teaching with Primary Sources Consortium- Teaching with Primary Sources in the Elementary Classroom (Online)
- On-Demand- Facing History and Ourselves- Getting Started with Holocaust and Human Behavior (Online)
- On-Demand- Facing History and Ourselves- Choices in Little Rock: An Approach to Teaching the Civil Rights Movement