Civics Lesson Plans and Toolkits
Illinois Civics has created the following lesson plans to support the teaching of the required high school civics course in Illinois. Check back often, as more lesson plans will be added.
Checks and Balances
- How Do Courts Count?
- Is Justice Blind? – High School
- Moot Court – Masterpiece Cakeshop
- Was Justice Blind? – Middle School
- First Amendment: Cyberbullying
- First Amendment: Flag Burning
- Second Amendment: Bridging the Gap in Gun Control
- Second Amendment: Concealed Weapons in Schools
- Fourth Amendment: Surveillance
- Fifth Amendment: Coercion of Terror Suspects
- Sixth Amendment: Right to Counsel
- Eighth Amendment: Juvenile Justice
Sample Unit Plans
Separation of Powers
- Congress in Action
- Congressional Committee Simulation – Immigration
- Free Trade, NAFTA, and USMCA
- Understanding the Federal Judiciary
Teaching Civics Through History
- Holocaust: What role do individuals and institutions play in confronting injustice?
- Japanese Internment: Does America live up to its democratic ideals in times of crisis?
- LGBTQ+ History Toolkit
- Little Rock
- Native American Mascots: How do we show respect to communities near and far?
- The Fate of Confederate Monuments in New Orleans